Monday, September 7, 2009

What we did on our summer vacation... Stockbridge, MA

We love to visit Stockbridge. It is a picturesque New England town. Norman Rockwell painted here and it still maintains that quaintness.


Don't you love this country store? They have terrific things inside. The floor boards creak as you walk through... it is wonderful!


Here is the Red Lion Inn. It is historic and that porch is a big attraction...




I loved these black-eyed susans outside of a gift shop.


Here is one of the cottages that is part of the inn.



As I walked through town, I admired the architecture and especially the doorways.



Isn't this twig frame wonderful?





And spectacular flowers...



Here is another inn in town.


I loved the colors on this house. There is a big bunch of hydrangeas by the front door.


We had the best meal at Once Upon a Table. It is located next door to the Red Lion Inn and is run by a friend from my hometown. The food is always outstanding and I love the intimate atmosphere. Be sure to stop in if you visit...

We also visited the Norman Rockwell Museum. We didn't get a chance to go to Edith Wharton's house "The Mount", but Linda Merrill of ::Surroundings:: did an extensive write up on it here, here, here, here, here, and here - and here. Whew! She did such a great job of sharing all the details, that I feel like I was there!


We'll return again to Stockbridge - oh, I almost forgot - there are lots of antique stores in the area. Lots of fun places to explore!


Marcy


8 comments:

  1. What a lovely vacation! I too love the architecture on old homes. It gives them such personalities! This is a place I would love to visit on day.

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohmygosh, I want to go in those stores! Love those pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looked like a fun, relaxing vacation in an adorable little town. Those twigs around that front door is to die for. I have always loved the architecture in the north east.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Marcy for such a lovely stroll around Stockbridge. And thanks also for your kind well wishes over @ The Hedge. It's great to feel so well again.
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the yellow house with the blue shutters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it all....just reminds me that I MUST visit New England!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Bershires are lovely. I'm right on their border and don't get there nearly enough. Thank you for the tour! Next time you're in the area you should head up to MASS MoCA!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I just found this! Thanks for the shoutout! We drove by the Red Lion Inn, but didn't stop. Wished we did! My parents own a signed print of Rockwell's "Christmas in Stockbridge" which is that section of the street with the Red Lion, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for joining in the conversation! I appreciate your thoughts.